My Scrapbook Resume

Sunday, April 14, 2013

My New Hobby

While I don't think this will replace scrapbooking any time soon, I have fallen in love with another activity. Whereas scrapbooking fulfills my creative and tactile needs, this new hobby is all about the whole body.

This January, Sam and I went to a place called Brooklyn Boulders, to give indoor rock climbing a try. It seemed like something fun for Sam to do over his winter break, and I figured I'd join in too, just for the sake of bonding over a shared activity.  Anyway, long story short, I loved it. I had fun. Pure, unadulterated fun. It was hard, and I was sore, but I felt so invigorated. I think the key is that it's all about lifting your own body weight, and there is something very satisfying about that. You just feel connected to your muscles and your core. And while, it's always cool to make it to the top, even when you don't, you still feel like you accomplished something. 

I knew this was something I wanted to scrap about, and this sketch at Cocoa Daisy seemed perfect for a layout about climbing. Because of all the brightly colored holds on the climbing wall, I kind of went to town with  colorful embellishments here. I had some fun with arrows too.




Now, at Brooklyn Boulders, in addition to many climbing walls, there is something called the slackline. It is essentially like a tight rope (Well, to my untrained eye it is just like a tight rope. I suppose it could be very different.) It is extremely hard to walk across, though I can't seem to get enough of trying. Once again, I feel like if I can just get my core strong enough, I can make it. However, I think 3 steps is my record right now. But I am getting better at standing in one spot.

The slackline also gets its own layout. I even got some pictures of me in there. Because of the graffiti walls in these photos, I kept this one way more simple. Any time I tried to add some embellishment, it all seemed very loud. 


The funny thing is, with all this talk about rock climbing and slacklines, I've actually only been there three times. But, I'm pretty sure, I will be there again some time soon. 

P.S. Sam loves it too. Max came once, and liked it just fine.
P.P.S. I have no desire to climb actual rocks, outside, where falls would not be cushioned by several feet of matted flooring.

No comments:

Post a Comment