My Scrapbook Resume

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Superman House-a page and a half layout


Oh, did this layout kick my buttocks. It all began so easily with my photo, and some embellishments. Whatever I had left from my Cocoa Daisy kit, and those My Mind's Eye borders worked perfectly.

And then. Then, it took me hours of trying to figure out how to fit my journaling onto the page. See, I had a lot to say about visiting the house where Jerry Seigel, the creator of Superman, grew up. Ultimately I realized I would need another page, and I settled on a 6"x12" page. I kept thinking, "But that just is NOT done." Which is true. It is not usually done on traditional layouts, but I think I like the way it turned out. And I definitely like the way 6x12 pages look and feel in albums.

So why was this house so interesting? First was just the story of getting there. We drove through a lot of Cleveland to reach this house, and the drive was just fun. Lots of joking around in the car. Then there was the confusion about whether this was a museum, or just someone's house. That question was answered when the owner of the houses came out to tell us about it. He just lives there with his family, and one day the city contacted him, and told him about the history of his house.  So, now he lives in a home with Superman paraphernalia in the window, where strangers come and take pictures. I just adore that little human interest piece of the story. And, finally, I just love that this was a place where some kid lived, and that kid grew up, and imagined a character, and people everywhere still know that character. They still write stories and make movies and TV shows about him. Furthermore, with Superman, the genre of superhero comics was created. How awesome is that?


2 comments:

  1. love your story telling skills Aliza.
    It's one of the things I admire so much about your work.
    hope you are squeezing out the best last of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome layout, Aliza! I love that you left the page without the journaling I added a half page. It looks really cool. And a great story, too1

    ReplyDelete