My Scrapbook Resume

Monday, January 16, 2012


While being all busy and excited about Take Twelve, I've been having this nagging feeling of scrapper's block lurking in the background of my brain.  I don't like it. I haven't fully given in yet, but I know it's there. The feeling that I don't really know what to make next. I have nothing brewing in my head that can't wait to get out. In 2011, ideas just kept coming. I had so many things I wanted to try, and goals I wanted to reach, and now a little, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Except, I think if I just keep making, then maybe I can get past it. 

So, with that in my head, I made the next two layouts. I forced myself to stick things down faster than usual, lest a layout get stuck, unfinished on my desk for months.

I did like this photo that I took the day before Chanukah, the beginning of winter break, when Dave surprised me and the boys with tickets to see Stomp. Somehow on this outing I only manged to snap a picture of our feet, but considering the show's title, I figured it worked. And, I kind of like the picture anyway. My two Converse boys with their Doc Marten Mom. As for Stomp, I had seen it in college, which now makes it over 15 years ago. I loved it then, and always thought I should go again. Thanks Dave for making that happen. And, by the by, it's still REALLY good. The energy and the beauty of making art from the mundane. 


As for the layout, it's good enough, and it's done. Not mocking me with its incompletion on my desk.

This layout I made after I emailed my sister asking if she enjoyed her birthday. She replied that Meital (age 4) told her she never had a mom as good as her. I said, get me the exact quote, please, because I feel a page coming on. I had these 2 photos from Max's bar mitzvah that I loved, and I'm so glad they found a story and a home here.

This is not a particularly original question, but what do you do when a creative block strikes?



9 comments:

  1. Your layouts look awesome for someone feeling a little blocked! That quote is so sweet and good for you for capturing it. I think you've stumbled on one of my tricks when blocked and that is to do something recent. I think sometimes we are trying to go back in time or get a list worked on or whatever and we don't feel the mojo on that stuff and try to force it. The newest idea/moment/pictures sometimes are a little easier to work with. My other thing (mojo issues or not) is to use others' stuff as inspiration. A sketch, something I pinned on Pinterest, even something of your own that you love can be a springboard for getting going. HTH! You have the right idea...do something and it usually passes for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely layouts!
    Now onto scrappers block. I try challenges, sketches or even stepping away from it all and getting inspired else where - not even scrapping realted, like flicking through a fave cookbook or watching a film or browsing pinterest. Your hobby should be fun, and not stress you out (I am learning this too!!)
    If you really wanna scrap something, try this. Grab 4 sheets of pp (maybe try out a colour combo you wouldn't usally choose) cut them into 5.5 inch squares, and stick down on some cardstock. Now add photos, a story and some embellishments. This go to technique usally helps me when im in a rut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fanastic layouts!! Especially love stomp

    ReplyDelete
  4. that quote is just the sweeeetest! and i am always a sucker for some chucks! i just ordered myself a pair...they are polka dot, LOL! so for creative block....honestly. cleaning my space and organizing some things always gets me going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't look like a block to me! love STomp although I have never seen in live. I have a percussionist who would love it. that quote is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMW... ♥ that quote! Wonderful layouts! I don't believe you have creative block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What scrapper's block?? You just made 2 awesome layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous GORGEOUS creations, love love the sentiment in the second page Aliza. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both layouts! The photo of your shoes is so cool. And that quote is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete