My Scrapbook Resume

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

On Inertia, Getting Started, and Blogging Your Heart


Oh, 2013, you have been a wonderful year, so far. A perfectly ordinary, life has its ups and downs kind of year.

It has not, however, been a great year for my blogging life. Which is okay, I guess. At some point, I decided blogging regularly just wasn't a goal for me anymore. I can't do it all, after all. But, now I would like to start again. For weeks, I have been collecting ideas. I have real notebook pages, and digital notebook pages filled with plans and words to get me started. I just didn't get to the starting part.

That's the power of inertia at work. Starting is hard.

But I came across Stephanie Howell's Blog Your Heart series. I'm using it as the nudge I need to get started.



So now I did it. I just have to keep doing it.

Let's move on to exercise. I had a pretty good rhythm going in 2013. It felt great.


Bike riding, with generous doses of Ellen Barrett DVD's,  (one day, I should write and scrap all about Ellen Barrett), had me feeling healthier than I ever  before.

But about a month ago, I was having some leg pains that could not be ignored. I didn't do anything crazy like, say, go to the doctor, but I realized I needed to take a break and heal. Stopping exercise is quite relaxing, I should tell you. It frees up some time, that's for sure. But, I feel  inertia lurking behind me, waiting to take over, so that another decade or two can go by before I start again. Because starting is so hard! So before inertia could fully work its evil magic, I tried a workout. I took it a little easy. One of the things I love about Ellen Barretts's approach to fitness, is her focus on paying attention to how your body feels. "If something doesn't feel right, modify it..." The next day I thought I really overdid it, but I realize now that was just the sore muscles talking. 

Ok, this is not the world's most interesting and/or earth shattering blog post. But it's a start.




4 comments:

  1. Inertia is a toughie--glad you're back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to start something again once you stop. Good luck and big hugs and much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hopped over from Stephanie's blog, thanks for sharing your heart! I love the scrap page, simple yet interesting. And I totally agree with blogging intertia - sometimes it's a goal and it clicks along, and sometimes I find other ways to enjoy my life. I'm glad I'm not the only one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. im a new follower and reader - just keep writing. is a blessing in the bad times and good times. every word matters. stop by my blog i you'd like. i doing the stephanie thing a bit late
    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete